<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 26, 2004

Frustrating 

Overshadowing the "Starting Over" news is word that my grandpa continues to decline in health. He's still in Cape Town; the only grandparent still alive. It's frustrating being so far away at a time like this. He just had hip surgery and is suffering from cancer. On top of that, he's all alone down there. All he has to look after him is the maid, Uncle Wolfie and Auntie Glicky. And they can't really cope with it fulltime. Even if they wanted to, they wouldn't be able to wait on him hand and foot for 24 hours. But my grandpa, 92, is a stubborn man. He adamently refuses to go to a home. Who can blame him? It's a rather unwelcome thought. But from previous experience in my family, its not that bad. He'll always have someone to look after him. He won't be lonely. This whole thing is a trial. My dad has made more trips to South Africa to check on his health in the last year than he has in the previous 15 years since we moved to the States. Even he can't keep up this pace. Me? I'd be down there right now if I could afford it. Cheapest flights, however, run about $1700. Yeah, I just don't have the money. Talking with him on the phone is endlessly frustrating, too. He won't stay on the line for more than 2 minutes before he's done with you. I suppose he has his pride to preserve. He doesn't want to appear weak to those he loves. He puts on this front when really everyone close to him knows the severity of his health. It sucks being so far away. If I'm ever to get a word in edge-wise to him, it has to be in the form of a letter. So I write him. I guess that's all I can really do for him.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?