<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

I don't know any guys who go through this... 

... but it seems like every single girl at my office is constantly in crisis mode on the telephone with their mother. Their mothers, invariably, are living in a different state. Two girls I work directly with in the office, always seem to be tied up with their moms and lately its been precluding them from getting anything done at work. Which, obviously, is becoming a pain in my ass because guess who gets to carry the extra weight? I've mentioned it off-hand a few times, but I can't very well say, 'Hey, quit chatting with your mother about what dress you're going to wear tonight and help me the hell out.' Or can I? Yeah, I actually can.

You have to understand that I'm not making a mountain out of a molehill, here. Our office is laid out in a very open manner. Such that the boss is essentially right in here with us. But these phone calls! They're not at any sort of indoor volume, like any normal person might expect. No. They're rambling, sprawling, cackling, gasping, intrusive exchanges that everyone can hear. Often times private, family issues, too. Could be talking about the most insignificant, miniscule thing in the world, but the mood is like armageddon is upon and we should all run screaming into the hills. Whatever happened to professionalism (I wonder as I type in my blog at work)? Whatever happened to trusting that your daughter has set up a life for herself away from home where she has a stable job that she loves, a place to live, and a strong network of friends? I've never once heard, "Mom, I'm really busy right now. We'll have to talk about cousin Eric's date another time." Never. Anyone feeling like they still have to be such a dominant presence in their child's life (their child who is a college graduate and independant) and constantly harrassing them throughout the day might not be suffering from separation anxiety so much as possible guilt or inadequacy or just a sense that they didn't do everything they could to prepare their child for the real world. But maybe I can just chalk this up to mother-daughter relationships because, as I've said, I have never seen a guy have to deal with this. I've gotta say, I'm in the dark on this one.

Sadly, I can't shake the feeling that this is who we are as a society. Rude, panicky, and nervous.


|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?