<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 03, 2004

A little insight from the sheltered point of view 

The following is an interview quote from one of the cast members on the show I work on. He's Southern --not to automatically demonize him because he really has been leading with his best foot -- and has grown up with a sort of close-mindedness. Regarding gay marriage:

I really don’t understand gay marriages that, that much. I know that I never will go to one. Uh, but it is something- - I’m still getting over or trying to understand gay people in general, and it’s hard for me to make, uh, give a very good opinion on that subject.

He doesn't fear it and I'd venture to say that we wouldn't call himself a segregationist. But this perspective is a result of a lack of exposure and with a lack of exposure comes an unwillingness to understand subjects foreign to a person's upbringing. To this character's credit, he is really breaking down some walls. But on a larger scale of gay rights -- biblical interpretation aside -- I think we can see clearly that the resistance to treat gays as equals is a result of ignorance rather than flat out hate.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?