<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, June 04, 2004

Star Crossed Dreamers 

Had a pretty vivid dream. It all began when a bunch of 20-somethings, myself included, were hanging by our fingertips off the side of an on-ramp to the freeway. Why were we dangling so? Well, we were watching all of our toy Hot Wheels cars racing down the ramp. There were about 25 or so. My car, Lucky Charms, was victorious. Huzzah!

Suddenly, without any reason or warning, the scene shifts to a lovely, open country field. All the faceless people who were watching the Hot Wheels race with me were there, enjoying the picnic atmosphere, playing in the warm sun. Then a package appears before me on the blanket I'm sitting on. But it's not for me. It's from me and addressed to a girl whose name I can not recall. Someone calls the girl over and tells her, "You got something from Alan." She bounds over and growing nearer she evolves from silhouette into flesh. She has shoulder-length black hair and is wearing a sun dress with muted floral patterns (which for some reason struck me as odd). The sun glistened off her face and was outshone only by her smile. We made eye contact and even though I had never seen this girl before in my life, it became immediately clear to the both of us that we had met earlier in this very same dream. We both sensed the connection.

She bends down to open the package, excited that I got her a gift. Do I know what this gift was? Nope. I didn't even know I sent her anything. She tears off the wrapping and opens a cardboard shoebox. Empty. A wind rustles through the field briefly, then stops. Barking is heard in the distance. The barking draws closer and closer until finally, this girl's dog sprints towards her. A bystander exclaims, "Hey! That's your dog, Po!" Sure enough, the girl had a dog named Po that apparently had passed away not long ago. "You brought back my dog," she squealed. Next thing I know, we're in the tightest embrace of our lives.

"I'm in love with you, Alan," she whispered, "I've been in love with you ever since I saw you for the first time at the freeway." The strange thing is, I felt exactly the same way about her. We had never exchanged words before this moment, but we knew we were destined to share and love each other. I let her know as much. In that moment and time, love at first sight was very real and very concrete. Passionately, we kissed; neither one of us loosening our lock around the other's waist. Her mouth was soft and wet and her tongue danced the merengue with mine. It was a dream come true. But then I realized internally... This was still a dream.

Between kisses, the mystery girl of desire gushed, "I knew from the second I saw you that you were the one. You were the one for me." I was dumbstruck, as I implicitly felt the same way about her. How could such kindred spirits ever come together? "I love you," she continued, "But I'm engaged."

She was engaged.

Callously, she backed away. A tear runs down her cheek and, quickly, she jets off in the opposite direction. Whatever conviction or passion her words held dissipated into a mist. They were empty. Love was empty.

And the dream was over.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?