<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 23, 2004

Tikkun Olam 

Nice bit from Steven Spielberg's not-so-recent interview with Katie Couric that I only now, for some reason, just came upon:

Out promoting the 10th anniversary DVD release of "Schindler's List", Steven Spielberg told Katie Couric on the Today show that he didn't take any of the profits from the film.

"It is blood money. Let's call it what it is," he said. "I didn't take a
single dollar from the profits I received from Schindler's List because I
did consider it blood money. When I first decided to make Schindler's List I
said, if this movie makes any profit, it can't go to me or my family, it has
to go out into the world and that's what we try to do here at the Shoah Foundation. We try to teach the facts of the past to prevent another Holocaust in the future."
Spielberg continues, "We have a thing, we say in Hebrew, "tikkun olam," which means, "the world always needs fixing and we as Jews, we as all people, have a responsibility to help fix things when they're broken and I think Schindler's List and the Shoah Foundation does exactly that."


Wonder if Mel Gibson will be taking the phenomenal profits of his "Passion" and doing the same thing. Yeah...

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?