<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, September 17, 2004

What did we learn this week? 

- Jill Sobule is one of the most entertaining performers around. Any record release party that features cameo appearances and performances by the likes of Harry Shearer (skreeeee!) and Lisa Loeb (sigh...) makes for one awesome time. Right, Liz? Right. Lisa Loeb: oh yes.

- The NHL is on a mission to break my heart. The owners and players' association are light years apart on settling a new collective bargaining agreement and neither side could give a crap about little old me: the fan. Very sad considering the fan base for this sport in the US is fairly shaky when compared to baseball, football, and basketball. If the lockout isn't ended by January, the whole season will be lost. Then I will kill a thousand babies and peel the skin off my body. In the meantime, many NHL players are either fleeing to Europe or opting to play in North American minor leagues. Hey, check it! Even the original six has a league.

- Keane's "Hopes and Fears" has supplanted Radiohead's "2+2=5" EP as my driving CD of choice this week. It's pretty great stuff. If you haven't done it yet, check out Keane.

- This week marked the first appearance of our new interns for the coming semester at work. 6 out of 7 are female. Not too shabby. Also, totally wrong of me to even think that way. Additionally, found out this week that our last day working on the current season is approximately Novemeber 19. That's about two weeks earlier than I anticipated. Hurm. We shall see what unfolds between now and then. In the meantime, the show is still a ratings monster for MTV as the first two installments have indicated.

- Of course the Rosh was this week and that meant I got to phone my grandpa overseas in Cape Town. Sadly, I don't quite get to talk to him as much as I'd like and even when I do get a hold of him, he's in a hurry to get off the phone for fear of sounding feeble. I hate to say it, but I could definitely mark the deterioration in his health by the sound of his crackling, quivering voice. Sorry for the downer. There's no other way to spin this story than: depressing.

- Not depressing, though, is the return of the Mayday Film Festival! You may recall me writing about it back in May. Well, now it's back. All new and improved and begging for you to be a part of it. You know you want to. Who could resist the mayhem that is writing, shooting, editing, and presenting a short film in a 24-hour span? No one, that's who! So if you're in the LA area and have the equipment and a team willing and ready for Saturday, October 2nd, just sign up on the website. Great fun!

- In America is definitely still one of my favorite movies. Ever. Certainly in the top 20. Even better the second time around.

- Just an observation. If you're ever trying to get any writing done and a cute little kitten hops on to your bed to play, there's no point in trying to continue writing. That kitten will ruin you with cuteness and you will be forever unproductive.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?