<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 23, 2004

You don't know what you're missing 

Well, some of you aren't missing anything at all. But to those who haven't been reading my friend Roberto's Hakushaku blog, you're definitely not maximizing your time on the internet. I know I've talked about it before, but this site is comic gold. Behold this excerpt -- definitive proof of why you should be loyal to the Hakushaku:

However, in his native tongue, Haku is considered quite the comedian, and the he had the whole bus roaring with laughter. The best part is that as he was talking to people, he would occasionally roundly insult them in English for no reason, which of course only I would understand. I SWEAR ON MY EYES THE FOLLOWING ACTUALLY HAPPENED:

(Introducing me to a rather bucktoothed girl from the front of the bus)

Haku: “Oh, Robert, this is Yuki-chan”

Yuki: “Hello, it’s nice to meet you. I’ve heard many stories about you”

Me: “Haha, yes. Doubtless”

Haku: “He tried to kill our Emperor”

(all chuckle)

Haku: “Yuki is your age, you know”

Me: “Oh really?”

Yuki: “Yeah, I just turned 23”

Haku: “Mmhmm. (In English) Is too bad you look like Falcor the Dragon from Neverending Story, ne.”

Me: (Choke on beer, fall over)

Yuki: “(In Japanese) I’m sorry?”

Haku: “I said you’re very cute”

As I had been drinking during this conversation (of course), I had inhaled about a pint of beer at the punch line of the story, and spent the next 5 minutes retching/laughing. Those of you who don’t live in the rural mountains probably can’t appreciate how surprising this reference was. The fact that he had even heard of this movie was amazing enough, but to actually call her “Falcor the Dragon” was too much, and I nearly died. It would be like a Mandingo tribesman nonchalantly dropping a reference to Mr. Belding from Saved By The Bell: The College Years.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?