<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 28, 2004

My brother is a saint 

A couple weeks back, he took a job as a teaching aid at a school for mentally challenged youngsters. "Mentally challenged..." Yeah, let's clarify: retards and autistics. I like to say that he teaches Autism. Strangely, he doesn't find it very funny. But, really, for someone to teach -- to indoctrinate -- a mental disability? Hey, that tends to take on a dark tone of humor. Look, I kid because I love.

Anyway, just spoke to my bro and found out yesterday that one of the youngsters got into a physical altercation with him. Apparently, this down-syndrome kid tried to choke him. Another supervisor had to intervene so that he and my brother could restrain the kid (at the risk of sounding like Matt Dillon in "There's Something About Mary," some of these kids don't know their own strength). Unreal. This begs the question: is there an insurance provider that offers "retarded collision" or some sort of safety net resembling that? Because, let's face it, the parents of that child can just claim, "Hey, you know what? Our boy isn't responsible for attacking anyone unprovoked. He just does that sometimes." Which is bullshit. Given that we live in such a litigious society, I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be livid) if some sort of legal action was taken on the part of the parents. Just sort of thinking out loud here. Musing over what a great professor of autism my brother will become.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?