<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Seeing Life Aquatic tonight! 

I'm psyched for the new Wes Anderson flick so I feel extra happy to be seeing it a couple days before it's release. If nothing else, these last couple weeks have presented me with the opportunity to see several advance screenings. But I wasn't exactly allowed to see all of them. Let me explain.

About a week ago, there was a guy handing out passes for free movie screenings in front of the gym. I got one, saw the movie, done and done. The film, incidentally, is the forthcoming In Good Company which is thoroughly "okay." Nothing's wrong with it, it's mostly entertaining, but it didn't have that punch for me to run out and recommend it.

At any rate, I'm back at the gym a couple days later and this same guy is handing out passes to a "kid's movie." I'm curious and ask which one. It's the Jim Carrey, Series of Unfortunate Events. I say, "hey sure, I'll grab one." But the guy hesitates for a moment and asks if I have kids. "Um... no. But... I... uh... have some nephews!" Are they under 14? "Uh... I think so? Why?" The guy proceeds to explain to me that if I don't have kids under age 14, I can't go to the show. So, rather than concoct a hair-brain scheme to abduct two children and take them to a movie, I let it go.

Right next to the movie guy, though, is a woman also passing out movie passes. She's distributing for Spanglish, the new Adam Sandler, James L. Brooks movie. I like Brooks a lot, so I say, "Yeah, I'll take one." She's about to give me a pass, then stops and asks, "Are you 35?"
Me: Uh, no. Why?
Her: Oh, well do you have a girlfriend or a wife who is 35?
Me: Well... ah, no.
Her: Oh that's okay, maybe you could just bring a friend?
Me: Do they have to be 35 or older?
Her: Yeah. Sorry.

Damn it, since when did I have to fit into a demographic that wasn't male age 18-49? Stupid target audiences.

So yeah. Life Aquatic! Whoo!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?