<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

United 93 

Just saw this today. This film does not pull any punches. It's basically what you expected it to be, but handled with class and dignity. It feels like a documentary and that's a credit to Paul Greengrass, a documentarian. Incredibly well executed on all levels. Still digesting, but it's really damn good. As expected, the last third of the film is pretty tough to get through, but I'd strongly like to believe that the events portrayed on the plane in the film transpired as they did in reality. My heart was racing during the last 20 minutes and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't relieved when it was over the same way you calm down when a really terrifying rollercoaster ride reaches it's end.

I can understand if you're not in a rush to get to the theater -- and the disappointing $11.5 million at the box office this weekend suggests that most of the nation is not -- but it is very much worth your time. So when you're ready, check it out. Superb treatment of that day's events.

Personally, I'm pretty happy that the film was released and handled so well (couldn't have just let anything regarding this subject out there). I'll take twenty United 93s before I ever decide to slog through probable dogshit like American Dreamz or Lucky Number Slevin. Without grandstanding on the soapbox too much, I think we need this film out in the public, right now. Too often, lately, do I get the impression that many of us have slipped back into a September 10th mentality, so to speak, in as much as that there are far too many things we take for granted on a daily basis.

Okay, now I'm going to watch game 7 (skreee!) of Calgary v Anaheim in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It's going to be awesome. Then, Lost.

Cheers.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?